Monday, November 17, 2008

Chapters 17 & 18

I thought it was funny how in class and in this chapter it was mentioned that you should make sure the equipment you need for a presentation is available. There have been several instances in which presentations have been made with a newer version of software or required an outside software that is not available on the computer being used. This makes for a "bumpy" presentation with a little awkwardness. Also, I have been victim to improper impromptu talk before. In a presentation, sometimes something is unclear and I'll attempt to clarify only to find more puzzled looks from the audience than originally. Impromptu talk can be a useful tool if used properly. I have learned an important step of impromptu talk is to take just a few seconds to organize your thoughts if you wish to add to your presentation. This typically makes for a clear message being conveyed with minimal confusion.

In our group project website, we utilized Chapter 18's ideas for creating a site map that allows readers quick access to pertinent information. A menu on the left of the screen provides easy access to specific elements of the wizard. One idea presented in the book that I wish websites would practice more often is to limit loading time of web pages. Some people do not have a fast Internet connection and when they want to accomplish the simple task of checking their Hotmail account do not want to waste time for the pages to load unnecessary information. The web designers of Hotmail should consider reading this part of our book. Changes have been made by this website to increase the download time. If a user has a dial up connection, the operation of this email account is extremely inefficient and frustrating. In this case I believe less is more.

No comments: